Monday, July 22, 2013

The Depths of God's Forgiveness

As a parent I fail all the time... I fail as a daughter, wife, sister in law, friend... etc.  We are not perfect people and we don't make perfect decisions all of the time.  Reading this mornings devotional I was reminded of this AND the depth of forgiveness God gives us that we should return to others.  While the devotional was centered around sin, I don't always just ask for God's forgiveness when I sin... I ask it daily for mistakes I feel I've made. 

Where is another God like you, who pardons the sins of survivors among his people? You cannot stay angry with your people forever, because you delight showing mercy.  Once again you will have compassion on us.  You will trample our sins under your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean! You will show us your faithfulness and unfailing love as you promised with an oath to our ancestors Abraham and Jacob long ago.
Micah 7:18-20

Karol Ladd brings up the infamous Titanic scene when Rose gently parts with her diamond necklace.  To us, it seemed like a really expensive waste, but to her, it was a symbolic experience of being freed from the past.  In the scripture above, we are reminded that God tosses our sin into the deepest depths of the ocean - freeing us from the guilt that sin can carry. 

As moms, we carry a lot of guilt.  For me, its often times guilt I bring upon myself (did I play with Pax enough this morning?  am I working with him enough on his talking?  did I raise my voice to loud when I was angry with him?) Are these sins... heck no.  They are my own self judgments that cause me to carry unnecessary guilt.  Don't we all do this to some degree?  The amazing thing is though, we have a God who once we confess and ask for forgiveness... grants it to us and forgets about it.  I want to be able to do the same. I want to treat others with that same compassion and understanding and most certainly want to teach Paxton that if he can be honest with himself and others he WILL be forgiven.  I want to give mercy to others, not judgment and be the example for him, show him that we have a God who loves us and forgives us for things we cannot forgive ourselves for. 

I am so thankful for a God who doesn't judge me... there is enough of that in the world right now, and I am so full of peace knowing that He takes my sin (no matter how tiny or big, shortcomings and all of the above) and tosses them into the depths of the ocean!

Choices to make this week:
-This week I will choose to receive God's mercy, I will show mercy towards others, I will walk humbly with God, knowing that he has pardoned me and loves me with unfailing love.

Prayer from Karol Ladd:
"Wonderful, loving and forgiving God, I praise you for your faithfulness and unfailing love.  Thank you for forgiving me of all my sins through Jesus.  Thank you for throwing those sins into the depths of the ocean.  Help me not to fish them out again! I want to live in the freedom you desire for me.  Guide me to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with you everyday of my life.  In Jesus's name I pray, amen!"

   

No comments:

Post a Comment